Wednesday 2 September 2009

Silly statuary

Lovely trip to Milan this weekend. Finally after 36 years of visiting Italy (37 if you count that one trip in utero) I’ve stayed there for more than three hours and actually had a look around the place. It goes without saying the shops are great – it also goes without saying I didn’t go into many of them (see entries below re: freelance work and financial situation) but I still had a great time going from café to café, touring the castle and the Monet exhibition, and finally climbing onto the roof of the fantastical sugar-plum fairy cathedral. This was my favourite bit, not just for the views of the city but also because of the creative carvings. I know, I know, I'm a philistine but really they are very special. My favourites include:





A naked-butt boxing match that goes on for three pillars and that is Not Homoerotic In Any Way (I think the bloke on the right won in the end)




A man who obviously had a dodgy curry last night
A woman who I'm going to sign up for a "boob job nightmares" story
A punk vampire duck














Not sure what any of these things have to do with God. I’m sure if I searched online I could find the hidden meaning behind them all, but I prefer to just think the stonemasons just got a bit bored after all those angels and saints and figured “oh well, it’s on the roof, nobody’s going to see it anyway” then amused each other by making stuff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment